Wednesday, December 4, 2013

40 Random Donations in 365 Days

Anyone who knows me well knows how I feel about my birthday so I won't go into that here. I will say that this "big" birthday has taken a while to come to grips with, but fortunately I have a lot of great friends who are older and have not only proven that 40 now is NOT the 40 of our parents, and really, it is just another year, another number. Granted it is not a number you will likely hear me mention again. Fortunately for me I have good genetics on my side and most people are pretty surprised when I tell them my age. I also take pretty good care of myself because good genes are only a foundation, you can't take advantage of that shit.

With that said it's my birthday, and I'm not mentioning it because I like the attention. Quite the contrary, I don't like a fuss being made, I like presents, but no fuss. Nothing new to those who know me. I have been thinking a lot about this birthday though. I mean, assuming I live till I'm 80, today means I've officially made it half way through my life. That's pretty intense. I remember being like 10 and thinking 40 was ancient, I mean my mom wasn't even 40 yet and regardless of age, at 10 everyone thinks their mom is "old" right? Shit at my age my mom had 2 children under 10 and a teenager. My grandmother was 43 when I was born. There is no way in hell I could ever picture myself as a grandmother. "Ain't no one got time for that!"

Of course a lot of friends have asked what I am planning for my "big birthday." And then of course we all hear the "you only turn ___ once." Well no shit, you only turn every age once, so really why do certain numbers/ages get special treatment?

Of course you have the ages that signify something "meaningful" (at least in my opinion); 10 because suddenly you are in the double digits, 13, because you're no longer a "kid" and now you're a teenager. At 16 you get your license, or at least you can get your license. At 18 you can vote and you are legally an adult, although I can't think of any 18 year old that I've ever known that was an "adult." At 21 you can "legally" buy alcohol and get into bars and drink. But then what? 25? Because it's a quarter of a century? After that it seems that we only really make a big deal about the decades. But why? Why not make a big deal about 17 or 24 or 33 or 42 or 57 and a half? Or not put so much pressure on certain numbers and treat them all the same? Party like its 1999 every year, or not, whatever. Where am I going with this?

Well, since I have chosen to remain 29 for the past 10 years, I've contemplated this new number. Will I accept 40 or will I be 29+11? We are not doing anything "BIG" because I'm a weirdo and don't like the attention and don't want to have a party. My husband would love to be able to throw me a party but fortunately for me, he gets me, and even though we could not be more opposite when it comes to birthday celebrations, he respects my eccentricities, and plans a great weekend for just the 2 of us. One of these years we'll go on a big trip, again just the 2 of us, because that's how I like it. I do feel like I should do something "grown-up" though, because even though age is just a # and I truly feel and live by "you are only as old as you act and feel," (and look, but that's a different post). I don't feel old, I don't act old - well no older than I ever did, I have always been an "old soul" and had viejita tendencies, and I know I don't look old, but I have lived 29+11 years and that's kind of a big deal. So what to do, that would mean something to ME that would be kind of a cool way to celebrate this new decade?

In 2010 I remember coming across a blog post about this woman who decided to celebrate her 38th birthday by doing 38 random acts of kindness in a day. Totally not something I could/would do, (too much human stranger danger interaction) but I thought it was pretty awesome that she took the time to do it. In addition to the fact that I pretty much remember everything, it is no surprise that I still remember this story 3 years later, but there was something about it that stuck with me. Could I do something cool with the number 40? Of course I could! But it would have to be something that wasn't putting too much pressure on myself, because that doesn't work with me, not with something like this. That instantly rules out anything done all in one a day. Hmmm... What to do that would be meaningful to me?
Why not make it a goal to donate 40 of my crochet/knit items before my next birthday? I know I already donate hats to little kids but so far it's been in conjunction with a sale. Like a BOGO but instead it's been a BODO. I've also donated a few hats to raffles/auctions for pet shelters, but again its kinda random. I think I've donated a total of about 10 items this year, maybe 12. So 40, in addition to what I already make for Miss FartyPants and whatever I sell, is a lot. It might not seem like a lot to some, but if you know me, then you know how anal retentive/type A/perfectionist I am when it comes to anything I do, which means I take twice as long as the "average" person to do anything. Maybe 3 times as long.

So here are my rules for myself (I LOVE rules!)
  1. Donate 40 individual items between now and my next 29th birthday to an oncology center and/or animal shelter. 
  2. Must be something I make, not monetary or bought.
That's it, just 2 rules. I'm not setting a "goal per month" or picking a specific item or even a specific organization. Instead of 40 Random Acts of Kindness, I'm calling it 40 Random Donations. It might be beanies to kidlets battling childhood cancer, it might be hats to an oncology center for teens/adults. It might be items for a raffle for an animal shelter or even pet beds. Again, no pressure. I put enough pressure on myself on a daily basis, I want this to be something fun and meaningful to ME. If I manage to donate more than 40, AWESOME, but no less than 40. And I will stay accountable by posting it here, kinda like I do with my workouts. I may even post pics of whatever I make to donate each month on FB and IG, just to add to the accountability. 

So that's it. 40 Random Donations in my 40th year.  So if you read this and know of a children's oncology center or oncology center or animal shelter then post it in the comments. I already have a list of a few but I know there are more out there. Do you make stuff too? Wanna join me? (you would do your own #/age).

Oh and I plan to continue and step up the workouts because I WILL wear a bikini next Summer dammit. Even if its just once. I don't have 40 lbs to lose or even 40 inches, but if I could lose 4 inches in my waist, that would be amazing. I think that's pretty doable, don't you? 

So that's it, my monumental birthday post. Time for me to go work out and make some shit! But before I do that...

It's time for some useless trivia...

December 4, 1973 is the 338th day of the year 1973 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 27 days remaining until the end of this year. The day of the week is Tuesday. So 40 years ago I was born yesterday. 
A person born on this day will be 40 years old today. If that same person saved a Dime every day starting at age 7, then by now that person has accumulated $1,205.30 today. (I should make my niece start saving a a dime a day, shit a quarter and then she can thank me later).

All About My Birthday is a cool site to find out random info about your birthday. In reading all the amazing things that happened on my birthday, this stuck out to me the most. 

What is the birthstone for December 4, 1973?
Turquoise is the modern birthstone for the month of December while Onyx is the mystical birth stone (based on Tibetan origin). The zodiac gemstone for Sagittarius is topaz. Lastly, the birthday stone for the day of the week ‘Tuesday’ is ruby.

I've always loved gems/semi-precious gems and believe in the properties they posses and their energy. During my teen years I wore lots of Turquoise and I still have most of it. I've always loved and been drawn to Onyx because its a beautiful stone and now it makes more sense. The most interesting part in all this though, is that according to this site the birthday stone is ruby. Well if you know me personally then you know that D and I got engaged on my birthday 9 years ago AND guess what stone is in my engagement ring? A RUBY! He chose the stone, I just said that I didn't want the typical cliche diamond. It's like he knew, even though he didn't know.
That's it.
I will sign off with a random picture of my namesake in 1973.


No comments:

Post a Comment